The Carolina Center for Jewish Studies condemns, and is deeply grieved by, the terrorist attacks by Hamas against civilians in Israel and extends heartfelt condolences to all those who have been affected. We have been reaching out to students, alumni, friends and colleagues in the US and abroad to offer support and sympathy, and we continue to be concerned about escalating violence in the region. These are extremely difficult and emotional times, and we are working on ways to further support our community by encouraging thoughtful and productive engagement and discussion.

Chancellor’s Statement

Issued Oct 13, 2023

Read the statement on the Chancellor’s website.

Caring for our community during global conflict

In a campus message, Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz condemned the acts of terror in Israel by Hamas and offered resources to the Carolina community.

Dear Carolina Community,

I am writing today at the end of a long week filled with heartache for so many members of our community and for people in conflict-torn regions across the globe. The senseless acts of terror in Israel by Hamas are horrifying. I condemn this terrible violence and fear the cascade of events these attacks are provoking, both locally and globally.

As I said in my University Day address yesterday, at Carolina we have focused on taking care of our community throughout the week. I’ve appreciated the powerful and emotional conversations I’ve had with students, faculty and staff. Their thoughts, concerns and experiences have informed our leadership team during this challenging time. Caring for their safety, especially with growing antisemitism across the globe, is our top priority. As I have emphasized on several occasions, there is no place for antisemitism or prejudice on our campus.

Let me be clear – we will not stand for acts of violence on our campus. While we have a commitment to allow both internal and external groups to express their opinions under the First Amendment, we also strive to rise above hateful rhetoric and engage in civil discourse and educated debate. We should lead by example, in showing how people of different backgrounds and perspectives come together and truly listen and learn from each other in an environment where everyone feels safe and supported.

I recognize that our Jewish and Muslim students, faculty, and staff are all affected by this violence in different ways. There are organizations on campus working to help us learn from and support each other, including NC Hillelthe Carolina Center for Jewish Studies, Chabad at UNC/Duke and the UNC Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies.

We will continue the outreach to members of our community who are struggling and encourage people who need support to connect with resources at care.unc.edu. For support, students may contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 919-966-3658, the Dean of Students team at 919-966-4045, or Student Wellness at 919-962-9355. Faculty and staff may contact our Employee Assistance Program 24 hours a day at 877-314-5841. We always stand ready to support those in our community in need.

I want to remind everyone that Carolina is a place where we strive to build our community together. We each have an important role to play in understanding the challenges facing our world and demonstrating compassion, empathy and understanding for one another. As we continue to witness the devastation in the region, please join me as we continue to hope for peace.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Guskiewicz
Chancellor